Thursday, August 21, 2008

Whatever Ever After

Memories litter my floor. Broken smiles hidden under a thick layer of dust. Happiness trying to be forgotten because tears of joy are now accompanied by a flood of pain and loneliness. Old birthday cards celebrating special days. Wrinkled pictures commemorating our achievements, a love long ago lost concealed in their creases. Funny faces in photobooths that used to set our hearts giggling. Cigar buts reminding of reckless mistakes of youth. Seashells like angel wings, because you said I was yours. A pinecone as a corny gift, but probably the most sincere gift ever given. In the middle of it all, a poem; haunting lines of shattered promises. “Always” and “forever” sprinkled throughout the mess along with “I love you” torment endlessly. Was there ever truth in these eyes? Will anything but hate ever pierce through them again? Will my dreams ever bring rest? But despite everything, this is how it had to end. There was never any hope of a happy ever after in our futures. And so, as these memories age and yellow in a box in the back of a dank closet, I too will age, my heart will grow, my eyes will glow, and a smile will touch my lips. I wish the same and more for you, but I hope I never see you again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home